Buildings & Grounds Team Member – Morven Park Buildings & Grounds Full-time, hourly position
Reports to the Buildings & Grounds Manager
Start date: Immediate
The Buildings & Grounds Department maintains Morven Park’s 1000-acre historic estate and supports quality delivery of the Park’s equestrian, athletic, historic, wedding, corporate, and educational programs and rental activities.
The Morven Park Buildings and Grounds team is seeking a details minded self-starter with previous buildings & grounds maintenance experience and proven exemplary customer service skills to join our team.
- Work with the Morven Park team to maximize venue utilization while maintaining high standards of appearance, safety and suitability
- Maintenance and repairs to park facilities, picnic areas, walkways, roadways, fencing, signs, gutters, downspouts and other amenities;
- Removal of refuse, yard debris, ice, snow and other solid waste materials;
- Landscape maintenance to include mowing, seeding edging, mulching and placement of sod;
- Mixes and pours concrete;
- Operates several types of trucks and farm equipment including dump trucks, skid steers and backhoes;
- Loads and unloads trucks and trailers;
- Moves heavy equipment, objects and materials;
- Performs routine building maintenance tasks (i.e. replacing HVAC filters, replacing light bulbs, repairing drywall, moving furniture);
- Performs minor equipment repair and maintenance;
- Assist in maintaining historic and modern building and grounds in top condition;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with all safety programs, guidelines and competencies;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Maintains a high standard of safety and efficiency.
- Basic knowledge of construction and maintenance of asphalt and concrete;
- Working knowledge of small equipment to include weed eater, zero-turn mowers, power tamper, chain saw, snow blower, gas generators, etc.;
- Basic knowledge of air compressors and pneumatic tools;
- Knowledge of and ability to use and perform basic scheduled maintenance on various types of hand tools and machinery;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety practices
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to operate several types of motor vehicles and farm equipment;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, high levels of dust, noxious fumes; etc.;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy manual labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices including chemical labels and material safety data sheets;
- Experience in buildings & grounds operations
- Familiarity with computers and MS Outlook
- Have a valid driver’s license, be able to drive and pass the driving record background check
- Must have the ability to appropriately handle challenging situations with customer service in mind;
- Must present self in a professional manner to interact with clients, corporate partners and park visitors;
- Strong ability to work well with co-workers and supervisors both within and across departments;
- Must demonstrate consistent and punctual attendance;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and climb up/down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, turn, reach, sit and must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Must have a flexible schedule that allows for the possibility of working evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Experience with plumbing, electrical, drywall, mechanical repair, and/or athletic field maintenance preferred.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to: MorvenParkEmployment@morvenpark.org, or:
Morven Park HR Department
PO Box 6228
Leesburg, VA 20178