Morven Park has more than two miles of hiking trails through the Park’s vast woodlands. The Wood Thrush Trail and the Ridge Top Trail are connected by a short hiking path. Both trails maintain a natural walking surface, so we discourage the use of strollers. Bicycles are not permitted on the trails. Six miles of trails are available for horse owners, who can bring their own horses and meander through the Morven Park estate grounds. Please call the Morven Park International Equestrian Center (703-777-2414 ext. 6614) for details on payment and to schedule an orientation ride. Click on the map below to download a printable version, or pick up your map during Mansion tour hours at the visitor center.
The Wood Thrush Trail
The Wood Thrush Trail runs from Morven Park’s Turkey Hill Farm area in the center of the property to its athletic fields on the northern edge. It consists of a .81-mile path including an optional .47-mile loop. This is a fairly flat hike, suitable for all ages and fitness levels. Bird watchers will enjoy the abundant wood thrushes as well as woodpeckers and dozens of other species.
The Ridge Top Trail
This 1.24-mile trail is a more challenging hike with a steady 200-foot-climb in elevation. It includes a scenic overlook at the highest point within Morven Park’s 1,000 acres at an elevation of 640 feet, and provides views of a seasonal stream and active vernal pool habitats. The Ridge Top Trail, appropriate for those looking for a slightly more demanding hike, is suitable for the beginner to the more experienced hiker.
- Admission to the hiking trails is free. There is a fee for access to the horseback riding trails. An orientation ride and reservations are required.
- Parking: Hikers are encouraged to park in the main public lot, accessed via Old Waterford Road. The parking lot is about a 10-minute walk from the Ridge Top trailhead. Limited parking also is available next to the trailhead and can be reached by following the signs to the Coach House parking lot. Hikers entering from Route 15/Tutt Lane can follow the signs to the Athletic Fields and park in the farthest parking lot next to the trailhead kiosk.
- Hours: The trails are open to the public every day from 8 a.m. until the park closes at 5:30 p.m. Check the website to ensure availability as the trails may be closed on occasion for clean up.
- Keeping It Green: Morven Park maintains a “carry-in/carry-out” policy, so please cooperate by carrying reusable containers and taking all garbage with you when you leave. Also, please leave what you find; do not disturb any plants, animals or historic artifacts found on the property. Do not feed the animals, and please, PLEASE, PLEASE keep all pets on leash at all times and under control at all times.
- Deer Management: Please be sure to check signs at the trailheads to learn more about our deer management program. With the guidance of wildlife biologists from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, Morven Park works diligently to maintain a healthy deer herd and robust habitat for other wildlife at the park.