In June 2014, Morven Park and its partner Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy opened more than two miles of new hiking trails, providing public access to the Park’s vast woodlands. The Wood Thrush Trail and the Ridge Top Trail are connected by a short hiking path. Both trails maintain a natural walking surface, so we discourage the use of strollers. Bicycles are not permitted on the trails. Click on the map below to download a printable version, or pick up your map during Mansion tour hours at the visitor center.
The Wood Thrush Trail
Thanks to volunteer trail builders from the Leesburg Daybreak Rotary Club and Loudoun County High School Naval Junior ROTC, the Wood Thrush Trail runs from the Park’s Turkey Hill Farm in the center of the property to its athletic fields on the northern edge. It consists of a .81-mile path including an optional .47-mile loop.
This is a fairly flat hike, suitable for all ages and fitness levels. Bird watchers will enjoy the abundant wood thrushes as well as woodpeckers and dozens of other species.
The Ridge Top Trail
This 1.24-mile trail is a more challenging hike with a steady 200-foot-climb in elevation. It includes a scenic overlook at the highest point within Morven Park’s 1,000 acres (640 feet), plus provides views of a seasonal stream and active vernal pool habitats.
The Ridge Top Trail, appropriate for those looking for a slightly more demanding hike, is suitable for the beginner to the more experienced hiker. The trail was constructed by 8th-grade students from Sterling’s Seneca Ridge Middle School as part of a Morven Park service learning project in partnership with Loudoun County Public Schools.
- Admission to the trails: FREE.
- Parking: Hikers are encouraged to park in the main public lot, accessed via Old Waterford Road. The parking lot is about a 10-minute walk from the Ridge Top Trailhead. Limited parking also is available next to the trailhead and can be reached by following the signs to “Administration/Deliveries.” Hikers entering from Route 15/Tutt Lane can follow the signs to the Athletic Fields and park in the farthest parking lot, next to the trailhead kiosk.
- Hours: The trails are open to the public every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day, from 8 a.m. until dusk, unless closed for maintenance (check the website to ensure availability).
- Keeping It Green: Morven Park maintains a “carry-in/carry-out” policy, so please cooperate by carrying reusable containers and taking all garbage with you when you leave. Also, please leave what you find; do not disturb any plants, animals or historic artifacts found on the property. Do not feed the animals, and please, PLEASE, PLEASE keep all pets on leash and under control at all times.
- Tick Protection: Be sure to use tick repellant, wear light-colored clothing, and tuck pants into boots or socks. Ticks, some of which may carry Lyme disease, can be present at any time of the year.